Dovecot errors on startup
Mik J
2016-07-30 08:56:18 UTC
Hello,
I'm able to start dovecot manually as a root# dovecot
But I can't using the startup script# /etc/rc.d/dovecot start
I notice errorsJul 30 10:50:52 x dovecot: master: Dovecot v2.2.21 (5345f22)
starting up for imap
Jul 30 10:50:52 x dovecot: master: Error: service(imap-login): pipe() failed:
Too many open files
Jul 30 10:50:52 x dovecot: master: Error: service(imap-hibernate): pipe()
failed: Too many open files
Jul 30 10:50:52 x dovecot: master: Error: service(doveadm): pipe() failed: Too
many open files

Even if my login.conf is modifieddovecot:\
        :openfiles-cur=512:\
        :openfiles-max=2048:\
        :tc=daemon:
And I ran# cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf
I increased both values up to 8192 and it's still the same.
It's almost a fresh install, there are just 5 or 6 mails in the mailbox

Does any of you have an idea about what could be the problem and how to debug
further ?
Olivier Burelli
2016-07-30 12:08:06 UTC
On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 08:56:18 +0000 (UTC)
Post by Mik J
Hello,
I'm able to start dovecot manually as a root# dovecot
But I can't using the startup script# /etc/rc.d/dovecot start
the best way is to use : rcctl start || stop dovecot

previously you have to enable it on rc : rcctl enable dovecot
Post by Mik J
I notice errorsJul 30 10:50:52 x dovecot: master: Dovecot v2.2.21 (5345f22)
starting up for imap
Too many open files
Jul 30 10:50:52 x dovecot: master: Error: service(imap-hibernate): pipe()
failed: Too many open files
Jul 30 10:50:52 x dovecot: master: Error: service(doveadm): pipe() failed: Too
many open files
Even if my login.conf is modifieddovecot:\
______________ :openfiles-cur=512:\
______________ :openfiles-max=2048:\
And I ran# cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf
I increased both values up to 8192 and it's still the same.
It's almost a fresh install, there are just 5 or 6 mails in the mailbox
Does any of you have an idea about what could be the problem and how to debug
further ?
Seems that you followed intructions from /usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes/dovecot-2.2.21p0

For my configuration, informations below are ok.

| Running dovecot-2.2.21p0 on OpenBSD

By default, the _dovecot user, and so the Dovecot processes run in
the login(1) class of "daemon". The default limits on file descriptors
are insufficient to run Dovecot; instead you should put the _dovecot
user and processes in their own login(1) class with tuned resources.

For example, add this to the login.conf(5) file:

dovecot:\
:openfiles-cur=512:\
:openfiles-max=2048:\
:tc=daemon:

Rebuild the login.conf.db file if necessary:

# [ -f /etc/login.conf.db ] && cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf
For larger servers these numbers and memory limits (e.g. datasize
and stacksize) may also need to be increased. In particular, indexing
emails for full-text search is likely to need an increased datasize.
Please report any changes and experiences to the package maintainers
so that we can update this file for future versions.

dovecot -n provides wich informations ?
--
regards,
Olivier
Mik J
2016-07-30 10:39:30 UTC
Thank you for your answer Olivier

As I was writting you I started to understand what could be wrong
My dovecot.conf# dovecot -n
# 2.2.21 (5345f22): /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: OpenBSD 5.9 amd64  ffs
mail_gid = _vmail
mail_uid = _vmail

I run dovecot with another user and that's why I was feeling the login.conf
parameters were not taken into account.
Do you know how my login.conf should look like if I run dovecot with the
_vmail user ?
Regards

Post by Mik J
I notice errorsJul 30 10:50:52 x dovecot: master: Dovecot v2.2.21 (5345f22)
starting up for imap
Jul 30 10:50:52 x dovecot: master: Error: service(imap-login): pipe()
Too many open files
Jul 30 10:50:52 x dovecot: master: Error: service(imap-hibernate): pipe()
failed: Too many open files
Too

Olivier
Olivier Burelli
2016-07-30 14:08:25 UTC
On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 10:39:30 +0000 (UTC)
Mik J <***@yahoo.fr> wrote:

Hello Mik J.

in first, sorry for my bad english.

Did you mix sysuser and user required to read the dedicated mount point for
virtual users (virtual mailboxes storage) ?

OpenBSD team provided the sysuser _dovecot to run the daemon.

I use on my side specific user also to read the Maildir folder in a specific
mount point : /var/vmail with user vmail
(vmail created manually : vmail:*:xxxx:xxxx:Virtual
Mail:/var/vmail:/sbin/nologin)

Only the user vmail writes on the dedicated mount point for all virtual
mailboxes.
Dovecot is running with _dovecot sys account.

May i suggest you to read in parallel : http://wiki.dovecot.org/HowTo

Mainly the section userdb configuration, where you declare the user required
to read & write the virtuals mailboxes stored.

In my case i mixed sql authentication with static userdb part.

my dovecot -n :

# 2.2.21 (5345f22): /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: OpenBSD 5.9 amd64 ffs
first_valid_uid = 1000
listen = *
mail_gid = vmail
mail_location = maildir:/var/vmail/%d/%n/Maildir
mail_privileged_group = vmail
mail_uid = vmail
(...)
passdb {
args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
driver = sql
}
(...)
userdb {
args = uid=vmail gid=vmail home=/var/vmail/%d/%n
driver = static
}
Post by Mik J
Do you know how my login.conf should look like if I run dovecot with the
_vmail user ?
Regards
Olivier
Mik J
2016-07-30 19:19:08 UTC
Hello Olivier,
About your configuration, I don't understand why you use
"mail_privileged_group = vmail" because it's only for mailbox not for
MaildirThey say "Currently this is used only with INBOX when either its
initial creation or dotlocking fails."
Then the only difference I have is that I don't have this specific line that
overrides the global settingsargs = uid=vmail gid=vmail home=/var/vmail/%d/%n
Also I notice after a reboot that I have the initial problem even if I start
dovecot from command line. Before writing the first email I had touched the
ulimit
You told me that dovecot runs with the _dovecot user, ok. Still I don't
understand why the dovecot section in the login.conf is not taken into account
after the command[ -f /etc/login.conf.db ] && cap_mkdb /etc/login.confI think
this is the source of my problem

Here's my dovecot config, nothing special I think
# dovecot -n
# 2.2.21 (5345f22): /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: OpenBSD 5.9 amd64  ffs
auth_mechanisms = cram-md5
debug_log_path = /tmp/dovecot.log
first_valid_uid = 1000
listen = *
mail_gid = _vmail
mail_location = maildir:/var/mail/vmail/%d/%n/Maildir
mail_uid = _vmail
mbox_write_locks = fcntl
mmap_disable = yes
namespace inbox {
  inbox = yes
  location =
  mailbox Drafts {
    special_use = \Drafts
  }
  mailbox Junk {
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  mailbox Sent {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox "Sent Messages" {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox Trash {
    special_use = \Trash
  }
  prefix =
}
passdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot.passwd
  driver = passwd-file
}
protocols = imap
ssl_ca = /etc/ssl/certs/CA_Root_and_Intermediate.crt
ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/certs/server_chained.crt
ssl_key = </etc/ssl/private/server.key
ssl_key_password =  # hidden, use -P to show it
ssl_protocols = !SSLv2 !SSLv3
userdb {
  driver = static
}

Post by Mik J
Do you know how my login.conf should look like if I run dovecot with the
_vmail user ?
Post by Mik J
Regards
Olivier
Edgar Pettijohn
2016-07-30 19:52:26 UTC
Sent from my iPhone
Post by Mik J
this is the source of my problem
Check what the class is.
# user info _dovecot

If not dovecot then change with:
# user mod -L dovecot _dovecot
Post by Mik J
Do you know how my login.conf should look like if I run dovecot with the
_vmail user ?
Post by Mik J
Regards
Olivier
Mik J
2016-07-30 20:32:24 UTC
Hello,
I found the problem. As usual it's a stupid thing. There was an invisible tab
at the end of the linedovecot:\And nothing was taken into account
The good way to debug this is to start this command after login.conf
modificationgetcap -f /etc/login.conf dovecotThe settings from login.conf
should appear
Thanks

Post by Mik J
Do you know how my login.conf should look like if I run dovecot with the
_vmail user ?
Post by Mik J
Regards