Weird errors during install.site
James Pole
2016-07-28 08:40:50 UTC
trondd
2016-07-28 12:59:35 UTC
Hello,
(1) Move the pkg_add(1) command to /etc/rc.firsttime. This which would
also
mean moving a whole lot of other scripted commands that depends on these
packages to /erc/rc.firsttime as well so I am keen to avoid this approach
if
possible.
(2) Figure out a way to fix ldconfig(8) so it works during the execution
of
install.site. Iâ**ve read the ldconfig(8) man page. Despite that Iâ**m
still
not confident that itâ**s wise to call ldconfig(8) during the execution of
install.site. And even if would work, I am not sure which flags, if any,
would
be appropriate.
I would appreciate any tips. :)
Regards,
James
bsd.rd is intentially stripped down. There is a warning that it won't be
as functional as a normal system so be careful with your expectations in
install.site scripts.

I do most everything in rc.firsttime. I think you're going to be better
off just moving your stuff to rc.firsttime rather than trying to
manipulate the rd environment. Is that really going to be easier than
copy/pasting lines out of a script?

I have an rc.firsttime.tail file in the site tarball, and in install.site,
I 'cat' it onto the end of any existing rc.firsttime assuming that the
official install process might want to use it sometimes and I don't want
to blow it away.
James Pole
2016-07-29 02:13:16 UTC
Post by trondd
I do most everything in rc.firsttime. I think you're going to be better
off just moving your stuff to rc.firsttime rather than trying to
manipulate the rd environment. Is that really going to be easier than
copy/pasting lines out of a script?
I have an rc.firsttime.tail file in the site tarball, and in install.site,
I 'cat' it onto the end of any existing rc.firsttime assuming that the
official install process might want to use it sometimes and I don't want
to blow it away.
My initial thought was I would have to echo all the scripted commands I wanted
to make to >> rc.firsttime. But your suggestion of creating a separate
rc.firstime.tail script and then appending the whole thing to rc.firsttime at
once seems like an elegant solution which I will adopt.

Thank you,
James
Raf Czlonka
2016-07-29 11:52:21 UTC
Post by James Pole
Post by trondd
I do most everything in rc.firsttime. I think you're going to be better
off just moving your stuff to rc.firsttime rather than trying to
manipulate the rd environment. Is that really going to be easier than
copy/pasting lines out of a script?
I have an rc.firsttime.tail file in the site tarball, and in install.site,
I 'cat' it onto the end of any existing rc.firsttime assuming that the
official install process might want to use it sometimes and I don't want
to blow it away.
My initial thought was I would have to echo all the scripted commands I wanted
to make to >> rc.firsttime. But your suggestion of creating a separate
rc.firstime.tail script and then appending the whole thing to rc.firsttime at
once seems like an elegant solution which I will adopt.
Hi James,

FYI, ld.so.hints file removal is deliberate[0].

Regards,

Raf

[0] http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/distrib/miniroot/install.sub?f=h#rev1.645