[OT] Cloud storage accessible via sftp or rsync/ssh?
John Long
2016-07-20 09:27:32 UTC
Can anybody recommend a good cloud storage provider that has access via sftp
or rsync tunneled through ssh? Everything I have found seems targeted at
Windows, Linux, phones etc. with no platform-agnostic interface.

Thanks.

/jl
--
ASCII ribbon campaign ( ) Powered by Lemote Fuloong
against HTML e-mail X Loongson MIPS and OpenBSD
Encrypted email preferred PGP Key 2048R/DA65BC04
Solène

ownCloud / NextCloud supports webdav
John Long
2016-07-20 11:58:27 UTC
Post by Solène
Post by John Long
Can anybody recommend a good cloud storage provider that has
access via sftp
or rsync tunneled through ssh? Everything I have found seems
targeted at
Windows, Linux, phones etc. with no platform-agnostic interface.
Thanks.
/jl
hello
ownCloud / NextCloud supports webdav
I'm looking for a cloud storage provider other than myself ;-)

/jl
John Long
2016-07-20 12:04:07 UTC
Check rsync.net.
That's the type of thing I'm looking for but their prices are totally out of
line with anything I've seen. I can pay 100 bucks a year for 1T of
storage. I can't pay 1,100 bucks a year for 300G of storage.

I'm hoping to find something reasonably priced that somebody on the list can
personally recommend. Aside from the few big names I have no way of knowing
if the lesser-known ones are any good.

Thanks.

/jl
matteo filippetto
2016-07-20 14:01:21 UTC
Post by John Long
Can anybody recommend a good cloud storage provider that has access via sftp
or rsync tunneled through ssh? Everything I have found seems targeted at
Windows, Linux, phones etc. with no platform-agnostic interface.
http://www.tarsnap.com

Regards
Matteo Filippetto
John Long
2016-07-20 14:32:04 UTC
Post by matteo filippetto
Post by John Long
Can anybody recommend a good cloud storage provider that has access via sftp
or rsync tunneled through ssh? Everything I have found seems targeted at
Windows, Linux, phones etc. with no platform-agnostic interface.
http://www.tarsnap.com
I saw that when it first came out and had forgotten about it. It's a neat
concept and the price is right but it will not work for what I am looking
for now. I want to be able to access individual files from multiple
clients.

Thanks.

/jl
Sam Hays
2016-07-20 14:31:16 UTC
Post by John Long
Can anybody recommend a good cloud storage provider that has access
via sftp or rsync tunneled through ssh? Everything I have found seems
targeted at Windows, Linux, phones etc. with no platform-agnostic interface.
Consider AWS / S3? I believe there is an OpenBSD port for aws-cli. I do realize this isn't 1:1 for what you asked, hard to beat the pricing and flexibility, though.

Sam
John Long
2016-07-20 15:58:53 UTC
Post by Sam Hays
Post by John Long
Can anybody recommend a good cloud storage provider that has access
via sftp or rsync tunneled through ssh? Everything I have found seems
targeted at Windows, Linux, phones etc. with no platform-agnostic interface.
Consider AWS / S3? I believe there is an OpenBSD port for aws-cli. I do realize this isn't 1:1 for what you asked, hard to beat the pricing and flexibility, though.
Thanks but I need something accessible at a minimum from sftp, and ideally
via rsync.

/jl
John Long
2016-07-20 16:55:36 UTC
Run an ??ber cheap VM (or a pair for HA) in AWS or Azure and use their underlying cloud storage, albeit at a cost premium.
That way you can setup any number of protocols to access the storage.
Thanks, that's actually a _really_ good idea. I'll have to check on pricing
and disk space but that might be the answer. In a lot of ways.

Thank you!

/jl
l***@wrant.com
2016-07-20 17:52:11 UTC
Post by Sam Hays
Post by John Long
Can anybody recommend a good cloud storage provider that has access
via sftp or rsync tunneled through ssh? Everything I have found seems
targeted at Windows, Linux, phones etc. with no platform-agnostic interface.
Consider AWS / S3? I believe there is an OpenBSD port for aws-cli.
I do realize this isn't 1:1 for what you asked, hard to beat the
pricing and flexibility, though.
It is in fact the easiest to beat any offer of the 'X-as-a-Service' range.
You have the other option: get 'your Own' dedicated server direct as well.
Sam Hays
2016-07-20 17:17:55 UTC
Post by John Long
That way you can setup any number of protocols to access the storage.
Thanks, that's actually a _really_ good idea. I'll have to check on pricing
and disk space but that might be the answer. In a lot of ways.
Post by John Long
Thank you!
To add on to this (and to beat a dead horse), in use-cases such as this one,
you can leave machines off and only boot them when needed (typically through
the AWS API) to save on EC2 instance costs. So, for example, if you have a
script that syncs a bunch of data once a week (or even, say once a day), you
may boot the machine - sync your files - and then shut the machine down again.
If you're using a nano-sized instance, it should cost you practically
nothing.
Jeff Ross
2016-07-20 19:33:13 UTC
Post by Sam Hays
Post by John Long
Can anybody recommend a good cloud storage provider that has access
via sftp or rsync tunneled through ssh? Everything I have found seems
targeted at Windows, Linux, phones etc. with no platform-agnostic interface.
Consider AWS / S3? I believe there is an OpenBSD port for aws-cli. I do realize this isn't 1:1 for what you asked, hard to beat the pricing and flexibility, though.
Sam
s3cmd is a python script that includes the ability to "sync" directories
and S3 buckets. Not quite rsync but close. I use it to sync a local
directory on my server storing level 0 through 7 dump files with an S3
bucket. Works great, easy to script.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/s3tools/files/s3cmd/

For easy, graphical access to your S3 buckets, try S3 Organizer (used to
be s3fox), a firefox extension.

Jeff
Denis Fondras
2016-07-21 07:54:05 UTC
Hi John,
Post by John Long
Can anybody recommend a good cloud storage provider that has access via sftp
or rsync tunneled through ssh? Everything I have found seems targeted at
Windows, Linux, phones etc. with no platform-agnostic interface.
French hoster Online.net has a new storage service called C14.
https://blog.online.net/2016/07/04/c14-the-secure-cold-storage-platform-for-free-during-the-summer/

It is cheap and you can access with rsync but it is "cold storage" and the delay
might make it a no-go. It is also hosted in France so the government blackboxes
will read all your traffic :o

Denis
l***@wrant.com
2016-07-21 14:15:12 UTC
Post by Denis Fondras
Hi John,
Post by John Long
Can anybody recommend a good cloud storage provider that has access
via sftp or rsync tunneled through ssh? Everything I have found
seems targeted at Windows, Linux, phones etc. with no
platform-agnostic interface.
French hoster Online.net has a new storage service called C14.
https://blog.online.net/2016/07/04/c14-the-secure-cold-storage-platform-for-free-during-the-summer/
It is cheap and you can access with rsync but it is "cold storage"
and the delay might make it a no-go. It is also hosted in France so
the government blackboxes will read all your traffic :o
Also, French OVH offers personal dedicated servers (kimsufi.com brand),
located in FR and CA for lower monthly than most virtual server offers.

OVH Kimsufi (USD)
[https://www.kimsufi.com/us/en/servers.xml]

OVH Kimsufi (EUR)
[https://www.kimsufi.com/en/servers.xml]

You can install OpenBSD and get away with real HDD storage inexpensive.
They also offer OpenStack KVM SSD VPS packages, these I've not tested:

OVH VPS SSD (USD)
https://www.ovh.com/us/vps/vps-ssd.xml

OVH VPS SSD (EUR)
https://www.ovh.ie/vps/vps-ssd.xml

I'm not related to these, it's inexpensive enough to self host though..