PXE booting status on EFI system (5.9 RELEASE)
Telnet Userid
2016-07-28 02:59:02 UTC
Greetings, OpenBSD!

Regarding my previous email that hasn't been answered, I just want to
confirm that OpenBSD 5.9 release bsd.rd kernel can't be booted via PXE
on EFI system.

iPXE in EFI mode doesn't recognize bsd.rd as kernel. On bios mode, it's
possible to chainload pxeboot.

GRUB is able to boot OpenBSD bsd.rd kernel directly on EFI over the
network (via kopenbsd) but it's unusable since GRUB boots OpenBSD in
blindmode. It means that no text is shown at the screen at all and this
makes it impossible to use it.

GRUB has no problem booting bsd.rd kernel either locally or over the
network in BIOS mode.

OpenBSD's own pxeboot doesn't work on EFI system.

OpenBSD's BOOTX64.EFI doesn't seem to know if it's loaded via network so
that it doesn't work EFI network booting at the moment.
Edgar Pettijohn

Telnet Userid
2016-07-29 10:00:08 UTC
Post by Telnet Userid
Greetings, OpenBSD!
Regarding my previous email that hasn't been answered, I just want to
confirm that OpenBSD 5.9 release bsd.rd kernel can't be booted via PXE
on EFI system.
iPXE in EFI mode doesn't recognize bsd.rd as kernel. On bios mode, it's
possible to chainload pxeboot.
did you do "boot bsd.rd" or "boot pxeboot"?
(asking because of recent alix apu2 experience.)
I did chainloading BOOTX64.EFI

!ipxe
chain /openbsd/BOOTX64.EFI

Since BOOTX64.EFI is actually EFI loader, it's got loaded. But it's
stuck at probing device with no success.

I even tried chainloading bsd.rd directly and got Exec format error
message.

!ipxe
chain /openbsd/bsd.rd

If bsd.rd kernel is EFI executable, it would be possible to load it
directly without bootloader help.

iPXE sanboot doesn't work on EFI system, so it's not yet an option. If
sanboot is available, it would be as easy as providing miniroot59.fs
entry.