Install OpenBSD on disks larger than 2TB
Leo Unglaub
2016-07-21 17:56:57 UTC
Hey,
i am using OpenBSD with two harddrives. Both of them are 2 TB and i put
them in a Raid 1 (mirroring) using softraid0. It works perfect, the
system boots from the raid 1 and runs perfectly.

Sadly now 2 TB is not enought disc space anymore and i got some new 4TB
drives. I suceeded in crating a raid 1 on them, but i am unable to boot
of those drives. Do you have any ideas what i could try next?

Here is what i did so far:

fdisk -igy sd0
fdisk -igy sd1
disklabel -E sd0 (created a partition of type RAID)
disklabel -E sd1 (created the same disklayout)
bioctl -c1 -l sd0a,sd1a softraid0 (resulted in sd2 beeing created)

I can install OpenBSD on the new sd2 but i cannot boot from it. I used
the latest snapshot to try this.

Any ideas?
Thanks and greetings
Leo
Alexander Hall
2016-07-22 08:29:47 UTC
Post by Leo Unglaub
Hey,
i am using OpenBSD with two harddrives. Both of them are 2 TB and i put
them in a Raid 1 (mirroring) using softraid0. It works perfect, the
system boots from the raid 1 and runs perfectly.
Sadly now 2 TB is not enought disc space anymore and i got some new 4TB
drives. I suceeded in crating a raid 1 on them, but i am unable to boot
of those drives. Do you have any ideas what i could try next?
fdisk -igy sd0
fdisk -igy sd1
disklabel -E sd0 (created a partition of type RAID)
disklabel -E sd1 (created the same disklayout)
bioctl -c1 -l sd0a,sd1a softraid0 (resulted in sd2 beeing created)
I can install OpenBSD on the new sd2 but i cannot boot from it. I used
the latest snapshot to try this.
How did you install the system? If you didn't already, use the installer and point it at the softraid disk (likely sd2). If that doesn't help, please show what happens.

"i am unable to boot" tells us nothing.

/Alexander
Post by Leo Unglaub
Any ideas?
Thanks and greetings
Leo
Leo Unglaub
2016-07-22 11:50:11 UTC
Hey,
Post by Alexander Hall
How did you install the system? If you didn't already, use the installer and point it at the softraid disk (likely sd2). If that doesn't help, please show what happens.
"i am unable to boot" tells us nothing.
i used the installer for installing OpenBSD. I selected sd2 during the
install process and created a GPT layout on that disc. Then it continues
by installing it normally. But in the last step i get the following
error message:

installboot: no OpenBSD partition
Failed to install bootblocks.
You will not be able to boot OpenBSD from sd2

I asume thats because OpenBSD cannot boot from GPT? Only from MBR?
Thanks and greetings
Leo